High School Undergraduates

Posted by Rell

sunshinegraphicsinc.com
Thinking back when I was a freshman. Life was exciting, and not to mention intimidating. As a "littlun" I always thought "just can't wait until high school it will be a lot better than elementary and middle school". Do you know what? It is!

Looking back now freshman year was the next best thing to being a senior. You can be yourself. Wear open toe shoes or sandals. Make more friends. Reacquaint with old friends. Experience more freedom from your parents. Then the downturn hits! As a freshman you are considered the school babies. Freshmen also tend to run into older classmates who despise fresh meat (freshmen). There are actually some teachers and administrators who don't take too well with freshmen. At this point how you think things should go doesn't matter.Certain classes you can't get until your a sophomore.Your only worries are basically more experienced High Schoolers and FCAT. I had a little advantage over many other freshman only because I had the appearance of a senior, played football, and knew many upperclassmen. I was able to slip by attacks on freshmen by the coverage of senior, Latravis Washington (who now plays quarterback for Nebraska Huskers).

I was a good student didn't make many bad choices, always wanted to do the right thing. I did my work and kept the mind frame what I do now will affect my future. My mom always expected better from me so I decided to expect more from myself. Many other freshmen among my group probably didn't think the same way. They had it set I don't have to pass the FCAT this year because it won't count until taking it next year.

In saying that I wouldn't change a thing. The best advice to give to you as a freshmen, don't shortcut yourself. You have to do the work. Also as a freshman it would be best to get classes that you need, but not majorly focused on out of the way 1st. One example is getting all your P.E. based classes over with. You may feel like it's doing nothing for you, but in the long run it will come back to you. Get involved with your school whether it's activities, sports, and clubs. Doing this will boost your rep or popularity. Giving yourself higher standards or goals will be worth it by senior year. Plus you'll feel good once you're told your walking on graduation night.

5 Responses to "High School Undergraduates"

  1. Unknown Says:

    I like your letter, Jerrell. It will be a help to many of the freshman. Its pretty useful and inspiring.

  2. e m i l y y Says:

    I agree about the FCAT thing - a lot of people just bushed it off because it wasn't required for them to pass it in 9th grade, but then they got stuck in remedial classes the next year x_x

  3. Jessica Crawford Says:

    Your letter was really good and I agree with getting all your P.E. done first. It really sucks to have to go back and do it later on.
    I like your picture, it's really cute.

  4. Bay Says:

    Your letter will be a big help to freshman it's true about FCAT and not short cutting yourself, and getting involved. Great Job!! I like your picture

  5. Anonymous Says:

    This blog is very helpful to me. It is also very inspiring. It has helped me see what I need to do, and how important freshmen year really is. I think, now that i have read this blog, I'm going to switch my guitar class to world history class now so I can get into the college courses. I just hope it's not to late. I like how you write. It's short and to the point, but interesting at the same time.
    Joshua Weitz